Saturday 15 September 2012

Bala Standard Distance Race Report

So that's that.  My first full season of triathlon is over, culminating with the Bala Standard Distance and my last chance at GB Age Group qualification.  I won't spoil the surprise by telling you the outcome now.....oooh the tension.

After a fairly horrific journey up to Bala, I got registered and checked in at the hostel I had booked for the night. A fairly eventless evening, punctuated with several small bowls of pasta and other carby snacks, more than several trips to check my bike hadn't decided to un-assemble itself and a fair amount of nervous leg jiggling before settling in for an early night at 2200.  Bala is one of the few events which starts at a more civilised time, with my wave going off at 0930, meant I almost had a lie in!


The morning after the night before and I was racked, lubed and suited, ready for the off.  A little warm up swim confirmed that the lake really is face achingly cold, but I felt I had my breathing under control.  I've had problems with the dive reflex causing me to catch my breath, causing real problems for 5-10mins before I can settle down, so I was pleased to have sorted this out before the race started properly.  I lined up a little way down the line, to try and give myself some clear water, but as soon as the horn went, it was carnage.  By far and away the most chaotic swim start I've ever been in, with arms, legs, ears, elbows and other assorted anatomy flying around in all directions.  After 300m or so though, everything settled down and I found myself following a nice set of feet (didn't notice the nail varnish colour, but well cared for they definitely were).  The swim exit at Bala involves hobbling over some rocks to the jetty which definitely lost me some time, but a solid swim performance.  Not as fast as Bedford, but quite pleased.  Swim Split: 24:55



T1 was uneventful, did what needed to be done and got out on the bike.  T2: 1:08  

The elastic bands did their job and I got into the saddle no problems.  Then the fun began.  My feet, numbed by the cold Welsh lake did a pretty good job of shutting the straps on my shoes.  However, some awkward wibbling, some frustrated wobbling and I finally got them on and I could start getting on with it!  By now, the calm lake was heavily ripped by a strong wind and I was working hard to average barely 20mph and was worrying my bike split would be way off what I had planned.  However, at the turn around I realised that that wind was easily going to pay back that effort as I easily cruised back at 30mph+ for large chunks of the return leg of the out and back course.  The course is quick, but definitely got some lumps and curves to it.  However, I think this played to my advantage as I see my climbing in the the aero position as one of my strengths, evident by the ground I made up on competitors and several I passed on the two climbs on each leg of the course.  My Rudy Project Wingspan was awesome and kept my head well ventilated in the muggy and warm conditions.  Bike Split: 01:02:15 

T2 was one of my best to date - re-racking the bike by hanging it off the brakes was a great move in the end and I'm really pleased.  T2: 0:41

The run felt tough to begin with as my left quad kept pinging as if it was trying to cramp.  I passed my dad who was sat at the side of the course on the way out, who shouted that a 45min 10km would get me a 2:15 - my realistic goal for the event.  Knowing this, I checked my wristwatch and started counting off the 7min miles.  The course ran alongside the bike course and had a good lump in it - definitely not a PB 10km course.  With 1mile to go I knew I was going to go under 2:15 and I started targeting 2:13:xx.  The last 200m was a weaving little funnel, over some rough ground and my tired legs kept causing me to catch my feet on the pot-holed ground, but I made it across the line.  Somehow, I had the energy to pull out this frankly fantastic finish line photo.  Run Split: 44:29.  Overall Time: 2:13:30.

However, a nasty little surprise was in store as I found out I had received a 2min penalty for drafting.  I honestly have no idea how, when or where I did something that was worthy of a penalty, but I am not one to argue with race officials - their job is hard enough as it is without people arguing the toss.  All I can do is learn from it and be even more careful than I was at Bala.  My official time therefore became 2:15:30. 

And now for the really big news.....I qualified!  Q2 at Bala and I'm off to Turkey in June for the European Championships as a GB Age Grouper!

Who'da thunk it....

James



Full Race Results

No comments:

Post a Comment