Sunday 30 September 2012

The season that was....

My first season of triathlon is over.  Unfortunately, unable to race at Hever this weekend due to a persistent chest infection, I have no more races left this year.  Looking back on my season I think I can take away lots of good points and a couple of things I would really like to work on.....

Positives
- I qualified for GB Age Group, which I was pretty convinced would not happen. 
- Went sub 40mins for a 10km for the first time.
- Developed my cycling so that I am much stronger over longer distances now. I also feel like my 5 and 10min power has improved considerably. 
- With help from Swim Smooth I've managed to get my 400m time down from 6min40 to 5min37 and my 1500m time down from 27min-ish to doing a 23:0x at Bedford.  
- Snuck onto the podium for the first time with a cheeky 3rd place at the Thorpe Sprint Triathlon (1st race of series).
- Sorted out all the bike bling I will ever need and got a pretty good position sorted too.
 Negatives
 - A big, fat DNF at Bedford.    
 - Not nearly enough racing across all disciplines. I need to race more without a doubt.  
 - Still no real PBs over straight TT distances (though mostly due to only doing a couple all year).  
 Looking back over this list, I realise I actually had a fantastic season and it is all to easy to be too critical. On the other hand, who knows what sort of time I could do in Turkey if I correct all these little bits? The racing can be quite easily sorted. I have several ParkRuns very close to me so could race over 5km every week without too much hassle. There's a great little lake near to me too which hold swim races and aquathlons when it's warm enough. I've also begun to get quick enough to join the quick boys in the Club on their rides - they are considerably stronger than me at the moment, but it gives me something to aim for and will undoubtedly really help my cycle leg.

It's at this time where I also need to start planning for winter base training.  I know I need to keep working on all 3 disciplines but it's my running in particular that would seem to hold the most gains.  My swim and bike legs are of a good level, but I always lose time on the run.  I'm going to be putting together some sort of a plan over the next few weeks which will then make it's way up to this blog.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment